Stung by a Scorpion
Every once in a while we find dead scorpions in our house when we sweep the floors. Less often do we see one run across our floor in the late evening. I do not like it at all.
Scorpions give me the creeps. I have always been afraid that one would sting someone in my family. Last year Lane was stung through his work glove while gathering firewood. He said that his hand ached for days.
Luckily the scorpions that call Texas their home are not deadly. However, you can be allergic to the sting and have problems breathing, etc. If that happens, you must seek medical attention immediately.
On average the scorpions here are 2-3 inches long including the tail. From experience, I can tell you that scorpions play dead better than the most trained dog. They can make themselves appear to be flat and stiff. When you go to dispose of the body, the scorpion springs to life and strikes out with its tail.
I never touch one with my bare hand. I scoop them up with a broom and dust pan. Well, I never intentionally touch one.
Last weekend my husband and I went on a mini-vacation. When we returned home Sunday afternoon, I immediately began unpacking our stuff and putting away our things. Our dirty clothing made almost a full load, but I had a few colored clothes in the dirty clothes hamper in my bathroom. Naturally I added them to the pile.
Instead of using a laundry basket to carry the wash to the utility room, I grabbed them in my arms. As I was dropping the clothes into the washing machine, I felt a shot of pain. My hand involuntarily jerked away from the pile of clothes and I gasped in pain.
At the time I had no idea why I hurt. I carefully peered in the direction of where my arm was when I got hurt. A scorpion was crawling out of Isaac’s swim suit. Its pinchers were feeling around and its tail was curled up ready to “defend” itself again.
With the help of Andrew’s tiny tennis shoes, Jake struck at the scorpion sending it to the floor. Lane finished it off. I would have taken an original photograph of a scorpion, but there was not much to see after my men made sure it was dead.
The pain was worse than a bee or wasp sting. After getting the load of laundry started, I sat down and iced my arm. It stung me on my right arm just below my wrist. I iced it for 15-20 minutes.
A welp began appearing at the actual site of the sting. A splotchy red rash began spreading around the welp in an inch radius. I took my aunt’s advice and made a paste from baking soda and water. I spread in gingerly over the area and covered it with a large bandage.
After 3 hours, I removed the bandage and rinsed off the baking soda. I no longer had the rash or welp. In fact you cannot even tell where the scorpion stung me. The pain was better, too. It was not throbbing anymore.
Now a little over 12 hours later, my arm burns slightly. It is not too bad though. I hope that I can live the rest of my life without being stung by a scorpion again. However, I would gladly get stung if that meant that my children did not have to endure the pain of a scorpion’s sting. I will also shake out the laundry before scooping dirty clothes up in my arms.